India is known for its diversity, which represents the creativity and culture of each state. The inventions and innovations have brought many artworks on the upfront with regards to creativity. One such form of saree that showcases the imagination of Indian artisans are the Kalamkari sarees. These are handloom sarees which require skilled labor to make the intricate design patterns.
Kalamkari is a combination of two words, which states ‘kalam’ means pen, and ‘kari’ means artwork or craftsmanship. Kalamkari sarees have hand-printed or block-printed art, which they produce by drawing artistic patterns with a pen. The designs on kalamkari sarees include flowers, leaves, human-figures, monuments, animals, birds, and mythological creatures.
Discover the beauty of kalamkari sarees
Kalamkari sarees have been in place from as long as 3000 years ago. Since then, their art and creativity have been maintained for years, and still, it is being continued. These sarees originated in the old city of Machilipatnam from Andhra Pradesh. Also, they are known to be the most ancient art, which involves hand painting and block printing.
You will find the standard shades of red, black, and yellow in the kalamkari sarees. They are prepared from the roots of Madder, and Jajakku leaves. The artisans obtain natural color pigments by boiling these leaves in water and then use it to paint the kalamkari sarees. The fabric used for making kalamkari sarees is usually cotton and silk. These sarees are famous because they are made with a unique method of hand painting on a canvas with a tamarind pen.
Kalamkari sarees have two variations in their styles, namely Machilipatnam and Srikalahasti. These are the famous places in Andhra Pradesh that have introduced various design concepts in the kalamkari sarees. Machilipatnam Kalamkari Sarees are prominent for hand-painted sarees that involve floral and natural motifs. In contrast, Srikalahasti Kalamkari Sarees depicts the famous characters from Hindu Mythology, such as Ramayana and Mahabharata. As the mythological figures created a trend among the saree lovers, every woman now wishes to buy the Kalamkari sarees.
Look elegant with the kalamkari sarees
The kalamkari sarees are lightweight and soft in texture. Also, the use of cotton and silk makes them a suitable wear all over the year. You can make them as your traditional wear sarees to flaunt at functions or festivals. You can also try various draping styles if you love to experiment with fashion.
The sheer elegance and softness of kalamkari sarees make them a perfect fit for every occasion, right from casual to formal. If you want to have an eye on what events will be perfect to wear these fabulous kalamkari sarees, then have a look at the following points below.
- Traditional Wear: As the kalamkari sarees have been in trend from so many years, they have created a special place in the traditional functions. The conventional methods of creating these sarees make them a popular traditional wear saree which you can wear at weddings, cultural events or festivals. The mythological characters and natural elements show that we preserve the cultural heritage of India even today with so many fashion trends out there.
- Office Wear: You can add the kalamkari sarees to your office wear sarees because of their delicacy and class. They will add a graceful appearance to your personality and also go with the flow of office norms.
Explore Our Stylish & Trendy Range Of Kalamkari Sarees For Wedding At Stylecaret
Kalamkari is an ancient style of hand-painting on canvas or cotton or silk that involves several intricate steps of dyeing, bleaching, hand painting, block-printing, starching, cleaning, and many more. The fabric is shiny as it is soaked in the mixture of cow milk and myrobalans while having several unique effects by using seeds, crushed flowers, and different types of plants to enhance its beauty. These sarees are extremely popular among women these days resulting in the wide range of availability of Kalamkari sarees in the market. If you are also looking for the block printed kalamkari sarees online to register your presence on your special occasion, you are in the right place.
Kalamkari sarees hold a special place in every woman’s heart with their authentic traditional charm and timeless beauty. The subtle intricate hand woven patterns on the cotton and silk fabric dyed in the natural colors make them a preferable choice among ladies to be worn on any type of occasion. At Stylearet, you can Buy Kalamkari Sarees Online by choosing from a wide range of variations in designs & patterns, colors, and fabric as per your occasional requirements and fashion goals. Kalamkari sarees never fail to grab people’s eye at a function and make you the center of attraction with the delicate and skillfully designed patterns. The extensive labor in detailing in terms of the patterns of these sarees is the idea behind the outstanding craftsmanship. This is why we are offering kalamkari sarees within an affordable price range. Check out our Kalamkari Sarees With Price and flaunt your traditional silhouette with intricate and exceptional prints.
1. Khadi Silk Kalamkari Sarees - If you are in love with block prints or looking for a modish silhouette with a traditional hint, then opt for these khadi silk kalamkari sarees. They are a perfect combination of class and style attracting women with gorgeous block prints to add an elegant look to their overall personality. The comfortable fabric of the saree makes them a go-to option to be worn on any occasion to flaunt the traditional artwork. You can team it up with the chunk accessories and embedded blouse.
2. Peacock Kalamkari Sarees with Floral Design - Do you want a unique traditional look at a function or a party? Go for these peacock kalamkari sarees with floral designs. The vibrant blue or green color of the body and intricate floral designs can melt any woman’s heart and easily grab people’s attention. The gorgeous peacock patterns add a charm to these sarees. Try these sarees with outstanding patterns and color combinations.
3. Dhakai Jamdani Kalamkari Sarees with Block Prints - These Dhakai Jamdani kalamkari sarees with beautiful block prints to fall for can be a perfect ethnic attire to embark your look in an event. Jamdani is one of the finest woven muslin textiles of Bengal and provides comfort in wearing and carrying it. Pair it up with classic jewelry. If you want to keep your look simple, buy these sarees now.
4. Georgette Kalamkari Sarees - Georgette kalamkari sarees are a perfect choice among women who are willing to keep their look formal on any occasion. The fabric of the saree has a very thin texture that provides extreme comfort in wearing. Women love wearing these sarees on the daily basis also. The beautiful artwork and prints on the georgette fabric add elegance and style to your personality.
5. Multi-Color Crepe Kalamkari Sarees - If you are looking for intricate saree patterns on the lightweight fabric, then opt for these crepe kalamkari sarees. This exceptional piece of saree is perfect for traditional wear to be worn on any occasion. The fabric of these sarees is lightweight and provides you comfort in pleating/draping the sarees.
How to wash kalamkari sarees?
It is better to give these sarees for dry cleaning rather than washing at home because they need to be handled with care. You can put them for dry cleaning after 2-3 uses. In this process of cleaning, they use the solvent more than water. It is believed that kalamkari sarees tend to degrade in water because of the most delicate fabric. The solvent used to wash them can be altered with Petroleum Spirit. Petrol works as a solvent for many fabrics. Hence, petrol wash or dry cleaning are safer methods to wash the kalamkari sarees.
Buy Kalamkari Sarees Online At StyleCaret!
Add the inspiring kalamkari sarees to your closet and let your ethnic collection glow with bliss. Make it your go-to attire whenever you want to put on a classy yet contemporary look. You can get them online at StyleCaret without any hustles. Just choose your favorite color and pattern of kalamkari sarees, place them in the cart and check out at your convenience.
You can get them delivered across the globe with our worldwide shipping facility. Are you looking for a discount? Well, you can get a 100% cashback as reward points if it is your first purchase at StyleCaret. So, hurry up and grab some of the best kalamkari sarees for you and your loved ones.
You can also explore our trending varieties of Ikat Sarees, Ombre Sarees, Chikankari Sarees and Embroidered Sarees on the site.
FAQs on Kalamkari Sarees
1. What are Kalamkari Sarees?
Kalamkari is an ancient type of hand-painted or block-printed cotton textile being produced in the Indian states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana. They are available in two different styles of Kalamkari art - the Srikalahasti style and the Machilipatnam style.
2. Which place is famous for kalamkari sarees?
Andhra Pradesh is the most famous state in India for producing Kalamkari sarees. The popular forms are Srikalahasthi from Chittoor district and Machilipatnam Kalamkari of Krishna district.
3. Why Do I need to dry-clean or petrol wash these kalamkari sarees?
Due to one of the most delicate fabrics such as silk or cotton fabric of the saree, it is always recommended to dry-clean or petrol wash these kalamkari sarees.
4. How can I identify kalamkari sarees?
The ancient art of kalamkari is known for its gorgeous color patterns with a variety of themes. You can recognize them with various design patterns such as flowers, leaves, nature or human figures as well as various mythological figures.
5. Is there any difference between Madhubani Sarees and Kalamkari Sarees?
Madhubani is an ancient art coming from a small village in Bihar known for interesting figures of all types of gods and goddesses, animals and birds. While kalamkari sarees are the result of a skilled labor process involving 23 steps.